Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have a lot of brand-new methods and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will be delighted with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by fancy advertisements about a particular laser center. Choose the doctor, not the laser. Learn who will really do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional will not inform you, discover another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are not worth the risk of getting less than expert care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. Each patient gets a slightly various outcome. find out The best surgeon worldwide can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each client. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or two, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless people around the globe.